Why Van Gogh?!!!.....2

                   His paintings tells their own stories as well and each one has special significance in his life and work. In this painting, he painted this picture in second August 1882. Up until that point he only painted in watercolor and pencils. But his brother encouraged him to paint in oil. He followed his advice and bought some tubes of oil paint and He sat on the beach at Scheveningen, in the middle of a gale. And he started painting this beautiful seascape, with boats and people struggling with the sea. Van Gogh struggled with his canvas, the wind blowing Van Gogh off his feet and  every time he applies paint it became encrusted with sand and he had to scrape it off and start painting again. Finally he finished and result in the end was this small but potent image.  he said to his brother “ *I can’t believe I never discovered  oil paintings before, there’s  a kind of infinity in oil painting, I can’t put into words, I feel that painting is my marrow, its in my very bone!!!…*”  From that moment on Van Gogh knew he is destined to be a painter. 
(Web link Beach_at_Scheveningen_in_Stormy_Weather )

Comments

Popular Posts